I landed up with new concept in marketing today… Along with products countries also have their brand and it is calculated with Index called as “The Anholt-GfK Roper Nation Brands Index”. It is determined with Ad campaigns by knowing people’s perception about country. Gfk conducts online surveys in 20 countries around the world. 1000 answers of people with age 18+ counted before determining the index.
This index measure the power and quality of brand image with 6 parameters- Exports, Governance, Culture & Heritage, People, Tourism, Investment & Immigration.
The way a country is perceived can make a critical difference to the success of its business, trade and tourism efforts, as well as its diplomatic and cultural relations with other nations.
How to perception about country is built?
There are many tourist destinations across the world- Thailand, Malaysia, Switzerland, Rome, US etc. People travel for leisure and fun? The perception of people affects the tourism business.
MIT, Stanford, Harvard, Cambridge are major universities in different countries. So, Educational resources and universities affect this brand. Indian student in Australia suffered discrimination and it affected the country as education destination.
Brand of India is what people in the nation and outside think about India. Gfk does online surveys to determine the brand.
Can the brand be built?
Yes. Perception of people can be shaped over period of time. Brand is normally by Government policies like Migration rule, FDI policies, import-export policies and similar business rule. They are also affected how investment done to maintain international relationships. Organization of International Games raises the awareness about nation. For example, Commonwealth Game India 2011 has spoiled the image of India by some extent.
There are few questions used on online surveys to know the favorability of country:
- Do you Feel good about buying products from that country?
- Would you like to visit if money is no concern?
- Is a place with high quality of life?
- Is a place creative with cutting edge ideas and new ways of thinking?
- Would you like to have a person from country as close friend?
- Does they behave responsibly to protect environment and public premises?
- Does they care about eqality in society?
- It is good place to study for educational degrees?
- Behave responsibly to reduce world poverty?
- Good place to invest money?
- Interesting/exciting contemporary culture?
- Rich historic buildings, vibrant city life?
Source: Economic Times, 4/4/2012